6 Steps for Spring Success09 September 2015 Linda Ross
Ah spring. It feels like you take forever to get here, and in a blink you’re gone and soon enough the sweltering hot months of summer languish by.
This year we’re not letting go of you that quickly. We’re treating our soil with lovely rich nutrients like a big delicious chocolate layer cake. This is the secret to a beautiful healthy garden.
This is what success could look like. Photo - Antonina Potapenko / Shutterstock.com
You’ve heard the mantra? Feed the soil not the plants! This is how we do it.
1. Pull last year’s mulch aside.
2. Spread blood and bone, one handful per square metre.
The rewards of a well fed soil. Photo - Elena Elisseeva / Shutterstock.com
3. Spread well-rotted aged cow manure to about 3-5cm think around exotics and natives.
4. Spread pelleted organic fertiliser like Organic life, a good handful per plant. Add potash around your flowering plants to boost flower-power.
5. Wait until rain, this way you don’t have to water it all in with the hose.
6. Mulch over the top with 5-8cm sugarcane mulch, or any mulch you choose Lucerne, tea tree mulch, bush mulch, leaf litter…