Tools of the Trade
Ever wondered which tools you should use to do different jobs around the garden?
Photo - Gettyimages.com
What you need
- some tools and a wheelbarrow
- a fine day
Here’s how to do it
- Put on your gloves and get all the tools out of the shed
- Get out in the front garden or backyard (which ever needs a ‘tidy-up’)
- Get to know your tool names and what you use them for:
Spade - for digging and planting big shrubs and trees
Trowel - for planting seedlings, seeds, bulbs and for digging up big weeds
Fork - for digging up plants and veggies and weeds
Cultivator - for loosening up garden soil, compost and removing weeds
Fan rake or lawn rake - for raking up leaves.
Hoe - for making straight rows in garden beds or the veggie patch for seeds or seedlings
Metal rake - for making rows in the soil, covering seeds and levelling the soil
Broom - for cleaning up dirt, soil and sand
- Choose the right tool for the job you want to start.
Hortex hand tools. Photo - Linda Ross
Text: Linda Ross