To prepare a fennel bulb for use in the kitchen, first cut off the stalks about 1cm from the bulb. Reserve any fresh green fronds to use in the salad. Pull off and discard any wilted or browned pieces of the bulb, then slice in half. Cut out the tough core at the base of each half. Slice thinly, or use a mandolin to get paper-thin slices.
WHAT YOU NEED
1 fennel bulb
5 large asparagus spears
1 handful of herbs, such as parsley and basil
1/4 cup pistachio nuts, lightly roasted
1 handful parmesan, coarsely grated
1/2 lemon, juiced
100ml extra virgin olive oil
WHAT TO DO
- Thinly slice the fennel bulb, and shave the asparagus spears into thin strips using a potato peeler.
- Top and tail the orange, then slice off the skin and use a paring knife to slice the segments from between the membranes.
- Mix the fennel, asparagus, orange segments and freshly torn herbs in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Scatter the salad over a large serving platter; top with pistachio nuts and parmesan.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad.